A Rock-Climbing Team for People with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (IDD)
United Rocks is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our mission is to promote physical, mental and social skills through the sport of rock climbing for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
The inspiration that rock climbing might be a way to support our son, Jake, who was born with down syndrome, led to the vision for a rock-climbing community where people with intellectual and developmental disabilities could be safe and accepted, and also grow and thrive.
We are one of the first climbing teams in the country for people with IDD. We have grown from 5 climbers to 30 in just one year. And that is only in the Plano, Texas area! We are expanding our teams to Grapevine, Texas and Santa Ana, CA in the next month. We plan to have United Rocks teams throughout the U.S. and beyond.
Accepted, Included, Respected
Our mission is to promote physical, mental and social skills through the sport of rock climbing for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Spread the Message
Our vision is to create a supportive community for people with disabilities to lead a healthy and successful life.
Our Core Values
- Equity and Inclusion
- Training and education
- Add the sport of rock-climbing into the Special Olympics.
- Create United Rocks climbing teams all over the U.S. and eventually, all over the world.
- Have structured recreational and competitive teams.
- Hold local, regional, national, and international competitions.
- Create a standard training program for volunteers and coaches.
- Open a resale store to offer jobs for people with disabilities.
We’d love to have you on this journey with us!
Learn about our program
If you’re a parent interested in rock-climbing for you child or adult with IDD visit our “Practices” page. You can register to come in our “Calendar” page.